- go to the Second Life web site: http://www.secondlife.com
- register for an account and download the Second Life viewer software.
- open the Second Life viewer software and log in using your new avatar name and password. Be sure you are logging into your SL viewer software, and not the SL web site. The viewer will give you access to the 3D world, and the SL website will give you access to your account information and a whole lot more.
|Type in UC Davis and select Groups from drop-down menu|
|Once you locate the UC Davis group... |
click on green More Info button
|Click Join Now button and then confirm that you want to join |
the group by clicking Join again as shown above.
- use the SLurl (Second Life URL) to reach the UC Davis Island. There are many ways to reach the UC Davis and Prophylaxis Islands: being sent a teleport that you can click on to get to the island, use the SLurl by putting it into your usual web browser (IE, Safari, Firefox, etc.).... http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Davis/11/124/22
|Click on the GOLD button: Visit this location|
Health Informatics Class hyperlinks:
- SLurls Med Project, Davis Island: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Davis/11/124/22
- Prophylaxis – Agricultural Building http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Prophylaxis/107/37/30 Virtual Hallucinations on Prophylaxis Island http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Prophylaxis/81/191/22
- Virtual Hallucinations on Med Projects Davis Island http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Davis/80/84/24
What if the Second Life Viewer does not work on my computer?
- System requirements: http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/?lang=en-US
- Download link for Second Life viewers: http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/?lang=en-US
- Alternate third party viewers: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers
WAY BACK WHEN... I first registered for a Second Life account in 2007, when the process included email verification before downloading the Second Life Viewer, and then being sent to one of the Linden Lab help islands/ welcome islands. That was actually a great help, as the Second Life mentors literally walked you through the first few minutes or hours... depending on how long you managed to stay. Today when I registered for an account, it was a lot quicker, though the help and orientation options were not readily visible. We will walk through that part together during the workshop, if you haven't already done so.